MSU students are invited to attend the Major Fair to learn more about the majors offered at Mississippi State University. Representatives from various departments on campus will be on hand to answer questions about the majors offered by their department. If you are an MSU student who is interested in learning about majors offered on campus, please plan to drop by!
Information for Students
What are some questions that would be good for me to ask departments to learn more about majors on campus?
- Is there a GPA requirement to declare this major?
- What are the pre-requisite classes for this major?
- Are there intro classes or electives you recommend to learn more about the major?
- What are the educational requirements? Required internship? Is graduate school recommended?
- Is there specific licensure, certification or training required?
- Which professional journals and organizations would help me learn more about this major?
- What kind of experience do you recommend such as internship, job shadowing, co-op?
- What are typical entry level jobs in this field? Where do MSU grads work who majored in this?
- Is there job demand for this major? Is the industry growing?
- What type of company or organization hires this major?
- What are the salary for various jobs in with this major?
- What skills are most important for this major? E.G. math, technology, public speaking.
- What special advice do you have for a student interested in this major?
- Do you have any special words of warning or encouragement?
- Warning includes things to watch out for such as lots of travel, exceptional skills in technology, math or science necessary, slow job growth, advanced degrees and training required, etc.
What other resources are available to learn more about jobs and majors?
O*NET can answer many questions about jobs you are interested in. Click here to visit O*NET.
- Input a job title in the Quick Search field and prepare to be amazed.
- Information including salary, education, knowledge and related occupations are just some of the details you will find.
- Look for jobs with the Bright Outlook designation that indicates strong job growth in that field.
- Green Occupations with the green leaf symbol are expected to change with technology advancements that will require workers to learn new tasks, skills, knowledge and credentials.
The Career Center
Visit the Career Center to meet with a Counselor who can provide more information about majors and careers you are interested in. We offer assessments and classes specifically designed to help you make a major and career decision.
Information for Departments
Below are the instructions for departments to register for the Major Fair:
- Go to http://msstate-csm.symplicity.com/events
- Click “2018 Major Fair – September 18”
- Click “As An Employer”
- Click “Proceed to Registration”
- Click “Next” to complete the fields in each section
- Click “Submit”
What can we expect?
Tables will be set up in the Foster Ballroom of the Colvard Student Union. This is a great opportunity to showcase your department/major and meet with students that may be interested in your major. Below are some items that you may consider bringing:
- Handouts/information about majors
- Business cards
- Display board/banner
- Change of major forms